Friday, October 28, 2011

Do Not Play Time With Dengue 2


I was at home when Raniel arrived home early from school that Wednesday noon; he’s early because their usual time for their last subject is 4p.m. so I ask him why he went home so early and skip afternoon classes and my son told me about that he is not feeling well. The moment he arrived home I have notice that he is not really feeling good and I guess maybe his asthma flares up again. But when I reached for him and feel his skin temperature I know for sure that he has a fever. I let him to rest and lie down by the couch and took my digital thermometer and it register to 40.5 centigrade, so I hurriedly made him to drink a paracetamol tablet.

I thought it’s just a common or usual fever that comes and go every now and then but my sons fever persist for two days and I know within myself that this symptoms is very much alarming so me and my wife decided to take him to a doctor. A couple of test were made to diagnose the cause of his high fever and they were found negative, his blood register to 200platelets which is above minimum level so we discard the possibility of dengue by then. The doctor advice us to continue giving him paracetamol and a week of antibiotics for a possible bacterial infections, and it does away his fever. I thought his health will be restored now that his fever was gone, what is alarming is that he is now having stomach pain and continuously suffers frequent vomiting on intakes, whether medicines, food or water.

We have him be examined again the next day and the result really made a shock on us. His blood platelets dropped to only 21 and dengue rashes begin to show up. We rushed home to get things we have prepared before, in anticipation of hospital confinement when we observed that things are getting worse for our son.

We made our way to the hospital and this make us more feel the shocked. The first private hospital we inquired wont admit us for the reason that the hospital is full of patients and no room is available. The second hospital nearby is government hospital and they also did not want to admit us for lack of medical supplies, they refer us to the provincial hospital whom they say could attend to our medical needs. At this moment of desperation for immediate medical attention for my son, I really felt that we are losing so much precious time to save and mitigate the serious condition of my son. Then the awaited worse happen, my son bleeds and it’s gushing out from his nose like a leak on the faucet and we feel so scared. We rushed to the third hospital and thank God they admit my son. As we enter the emergency room the blood from the face towel was all soak in blood coming out from my son’s nose. The nurses and the doctor came to the rescue and apply the necessary medical aid needed in such emergency situation. It takes for the bleeding to last for more than half an hour and surely everybody knows well that he lose so much blood, (my detailed story on this is in my article, “DO NOT PLAY TIME WITH DENGUE”) upon giving my son the IV fluid to restore loses, he was taken to his room and there the doctor told us how critical is my son condition. The doctor explain to us the health condition of Raniel and its apparent complication if he will not be treated well, she mention that my son needed some blood transfusion that is not available in that hospital. So to make the story short we were told that she will transfer us to the city hospital and refer us to her doctor cousin who is an internal medicine practitioner.

So we’re off again but by this time we know for sure that we have somehow passed the most critical moment in my son’s critical condition. As we took our way to the city hospital we were assisted by two nurses and aided us along the way to make sure things will be well for my son. So it goes well for my son did not bleed anymore on our way and we are well received to the emergency room as expected through the advanced notification and reservation done by the attending doctor whom I may say took care of my son in the critical time of his life. We were allotted a bed in the male ward temporarily because there was no available private room due to overwhelming incoming patients. So I made an advance reservation for private room to be made available when occupants were discharged. So the next day my request was granted and they transfer us to a private room and Oh! What a big comfort.

The night we were in the male ward is quite uncomfortable; the little room was packed with 4 patients along with their watchers, 2 at the most. We are at the end corner and to go there we have to pass by them and as expected you can see everything which I didn’t like on ward rooms. Three of the patients including my son are all dengue case and it is really surprising that October which is not normally high in dengue cases is now taking a high records of dengue cases all over the country, the provincial hospital to which we were referred before were also packed with dengue patients as a nurse from that hospital happens to tell us when she went there, she have told us that patients were placed along the hallways and corridors because the regular rooms are already filled. Thank God we didn’t end up in that crowded hospital.

My son spends 6 days hospital confinement, and truly God is amazing. Each night we pray for his speedy recovery and I know He did answer our prayers. The problem with dengue is for the blood platelets to rise in and above minimum level of 150. On our first day Raniel platelets are only 21, the 2nd day it rose to 28, which promised no good result. The doctor administers some expensive medicine which cost us 2,300 pesos every vials given twice a day including the IV fluid to restore body fluid. This makes my son to stop vomiting and treat liver complications which have swelled as diagnosed through xray. But the issue of the platelets gives us more concern because they will not discharge us of low blood platelets. Thursday I went to work and there my co worker who happens to have a brother that became a dengue victim also shared his secret about my concern, so I tried it. I bought some of these medicines they say is good to address dengue and made my son to drink a couple and then I waited the next day for the result.

I am really excited when his platelets jump from 41 to 99 which the doctor said was a good sign. So we’re now sure that this medicine is doing fine for my son so we continue giving him. The next day we all jump for joy upon knowing we all hit the mark and it’s more than the minimum. We get 158 which the doctor assured of letting us go home - and sure she did. We paid a great sum of money and all I can do is to sigh. Well these are all what it takes especially in the hospital. What is making us happy now is the fact that our son is alive and well and that is the thing which no amount of money could buy…and that is life…

continuations:

don't play time with dengue

symptoms of dengue

secret antidote for dengue

No comments:

DAD, I MISS YOU

this article tells something about my Dad, though this is not the whole picture of who he really is, i hope this article will serve as a simple words that will inspire you to love your dad and show them your affections and care more while they still live.

KEEPING UP WITH YOUR TEENS

this short article is about a dad who later found out that his teenage daughter was three months pregnant, and the underlying factors and issues affecting our teens mindset today and what we can do to keep up with them

KEEPING YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL

this article talks about the rising demand for beauty products and services that may serve as a starting point for business venture as well us some helpful and practical tips in keeping yourself young and beautiful.

FREE CALL ON SELECTED COUNTRIES

free call around the world, made available for you to use it,,anyway its free and who can resist it?

FRIENDS ONLINE

This article is all about a forum site i am enjoying right now, wanna see it for yourself just click the link below and i will wait for you there..www.myLot.com?ref=arnoldream